Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Pasta with (Pumpkin) Meat Sauce


Just made this for dinner and my kids devoured it! They watched me mix pumpkin into the sauce and still licked their plates clean,.... really.

Here's the simple 1-2-3 recipe:

1. Prepare whole wheat rotini or penne pasta according to directions, drain and set aside in covered pot.

2. Brown one package (1 pound - 1.25 pounds) ground turkey meat, at least 90% lean. When turkey is cooked through, add one 26-ounce jar of marinara sauce (I used Ragu Light, no sugar added) and 1/2 cup 100% canned pumpkin puree. Mix thoroughly until bubbly hot.

3. Add turkey pumpkin-tomato sauce to pasta and toss. Top with 1 cup reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese or 4 Mexican cheese and thoroughly mix until cheese is melty and blended throughout pasta.

Try it and let me know what you think!!








2 comments:

  1. This sounds absolutely scrumptious! I can see my kids devouring this, too...if we manage to save some for them. HA! Thanks for all your creative, delicious recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making something similar tonight thanks to your idea. Was making spaghetti and meatballs and added the pumpkin. It was a great addition to the sauce and I used up some opened pumpkin that I had with my oatmeal. It is so think and yummy and tasty. Can't wait for my husband to get home to have dinner.

    ReplyDelete